Sunday, June 12, 2011

You can attach landlord's account

Question: I won a judgment against a former landlord in small-claims court for failure to return my security deposit. How can I make sure he pays me?

- Martin Diggs


Answer: The landlord is now required by the court to return your deposit, but that doesn't mean he will. Your best option is to have the landlord's bank account garnisheed. To do this, you need his bank-account information. You can probably get this off the back of one of your canceled checks paid to the landlord after he deposited it. Take that bank-account information to the same court that awarded you the judgment and ask for a "non-earnings" garnishment. Once the court provides this document to you, give it to a process server, who can serve the document on the landlord's bank. The bank should start garnisheeing the account immediately.

by Dave Cherry The Arizona Republic Jun. 6, 2011 12:00 AM

You can attach landlord's account

Real Estate News

HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard